Thursday, March 24, 2011

Poetry and the Luck of the Irish on St. Patty's Day

Normally the typical revelry of St. Patty's Day does not include a poetry open mic and folk acoustic set in a coffee house, but that is what Spazz did to celebrate St. Patty's Day.  I booked a gig following a poetry open mic and got spend my day being Irish with a Guinness and some acoustic tunes.

I played Five Leaves Coffee house which is a cool little place in Englewood.  Their large latte's are HUGE and the place feels very inviting.  The poetry was very well done....I half expected a bunch of beatniks with sub par rhymes, but the poets they had were true craftsman of their trade.  I enjoyed it.  My set was a lot of fun.  Most people stuck around and gave me the time of day.  Good banter from the audience and I even got heckled when I played John Lennon's "Luck of the Irish" for St. Patty's day.  A true Irishman took exception to the line "Wish they were English instead."  Fair enough.....they aren't exactly allies.  With my buddy Dave in the house, the obligatory Tramp Stamp>Everlong>Tramp Stamp was thrown into the mix to his delight and my wife's chagrin.

I should be booked there again, once they do their next round of bookings I should be receiving an email.  A mighty fine St. Patty's day and no hangover for work the next day.

Five Leaves Coffeehouse 3.17- Ryan Shane Spazz
Somewhere Between, American Slang, You Don't Deserve Me, Simple Lines, Luck of the Irish, Atlantic City, Goodbye (Doesn't Mean the End), Tramp Stamp>Everlong>Tramp Stamp, I Saw Jesus>Long Black Veil, Everyday Hero, This Land is Our Land  

No comments:

Post a Comment